After seeing 36 performances applied for the competition of the 16th Children theatre festival POZORISTE ZVEZDARISTE, I decided to choose these following performances for the selection:
- Children’s Theater Subotica – SORRY MOM
- Juozas Miltinis drama theatre, Panevėžys, Litvanija – JOHNNY BE GOOD
- „Boško Buha“ Theatre, Belgrade – OLIVER TWIST
- Kruševac Theater, Kruševac – THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
- Youth Theater, Novi Sad – ON THE WOLF’S TRACK
- „Pan theatre“, Belgrade – BELGRADE MUMMY
- Puppet theatre Niš – THE WOLF WHO DROPPED FROM THE BOOK
- Branko Mihaljević Children’s Theater in Osijek, Croatia – DUCK FLOATS ACROSS DRAVA
- Children theatre Kragujevac – COLORFUL TREE
- City Puppet Theater Rijeka – THE ADVENTURES OF LITTLE JUJU
- Pinokio Puppet Theater, Belgrade – BARONI DI MAKARONI
- Puppet Studio Sarajevo, Bosna i Herzegovina – THE DWARF TELLS US
- Faculty of Dramatic Arts, Belgrade – THE SUMMER I LEARNED TO FLY
Although there are fewer applies then last year, the offer this year is much more diverse and with more quality, especially in the field of puppet performances. From old and unusual inspiring Sarajevo puppet scene, to Osijek puppet school which is always good, fine Serbian puppet praxis, that has found it’s scene space for author work out of our borders, to examples of extraordinary esthetic rise of new check puppet expression, puppeteers showed not just exceptional vitality, but also high level of theatre curiosity, especially in the field of the form and communication with a new audience, audience that seeks for new expression with productive didactic messages.
Also, in drama theatre for children, one can notice an interest in new scenic forms that respect contemporary children’s perception of reality, loaded in every way with innovative digital and informatics technologies. Although the classic theatre expression is still dominant in drama theatre, in several performances it’s been brought to a very high esthetic level, especially in the production of theatres that could afford ensemble performances.
In essence, this year’s choice is not a consequence of the search for confirmation of some concept. It is a selection of the best from the offer, respecting contemporary scene expression.
In Belgrade, 8.7.2019.
Željko Hubač, Festival selector